2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1.25 cups dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon canola / grapeseed oil
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon water
Coarse or flakey sea salt (optional)
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl.
- Add chocolate chips and toss to coat.
- Whisk together briskly the sugars, oil and water in a large bowl until smooth and incorporated.
- Add flour mixture to sugar mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon or spatula until just combined and there is no flour visible. Do not overmix.
- Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 12 hours, up to 24 hours. Do not skip this step.
- Preheat oven at 350F/175C.
- Portion 2inch mounds with a spoon or small ice cream scoop. (You can freeze these for 10mins before baking to retain the shape better.)
- Sprinkle dough balls with sea salt. Bake for 12-13 minutes or until the edges are just golden. Do not overbake. Let cool completely before serving.
*recipe adapted from Food52.com